Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Witcher [Game][PC]

Amount Completed: About an hour of the game. 

Note: It would be inappropriate for me to comment negatively on the art/sound/story with such a limited amount of time put into the game. There were no specific glaring issues in my experience.

Gameplay: The Witcher is a third person RPG with a massive inventory system, magic, and basic weapon combat. The Witcher uses a hybrid of pause-time combat with essentially a constant quick-time-event. After assigning the main character to battle a given enemy you have to follow up with subsequent clicks to improve the attack at an interval of time (required to generally survive the confrontation). This was so appalling to me that I quit the game shortly after clearing the fortress of enemies at the beginning of the game. Games like Knights of the Old Republic, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy XII, and Dragon Age have a much more preferable combat systems without the need for extensive quick-time-event usage (I do not recall much if any). I do not like rhythm games and have a lot of disdain for playing games that use this kind of functionality extensively. The Witcher, unfortunately, bases the entire combat system around it.

Gut: I will not play this game until I like this type of combat in a game. While an unlikely scenario, I would not want to throw around the word "never."

No comments:

Post a Comment